Published: 08:45 GMT Daylight Time - Thursday 11 August 2011
Belgium bans full-face veil
Country/Region: Europe, Belgium
Belgium has become the second European country to ban the burqa and other face coverings from public places for security reasons.
The Belgian Parliament first passed the law by a vote of 149-1 in April 2010; however the legislation was delayed because of a political crisis affecting the Belgian government.
The decision, which was implemented on 23 July, follows that in neighbouring France, which introduced a similar ban earlier this year.
It is thought that around 270 Muslim women who wear the veil in Belgium will be affected. They could face a fine of more than 130 Euros and have to spend up to a week in jail if caught.
Please note: We have no control over other websites and links do not signify that we endorse the website(s). We have no responsibility for the content of the said linked website(s).
Read the Euro News article - Belgium bans the burqa
Our magazine - Barnabas aid
- 1Second Australian state moves to implement veil law - 3 years ago
- 2Police in Australia given power to remove veils - 3 years ago
- 3Sentenced Australian Muslim woman avoids jail - 3 years ago
- 4Defendant in French burqa ban trial sent home – for wearing burqa - 3 years ago
- 5France starts ban on full-face veil - 4 years ago