Published: 00:00 GMT Daylight Time - Thursday 16 September 2010
As Barnabas Aid moves to Phase Two, please keep helping us to help Christian flood victims in Pakistan
Project(s): 00-634, 41-919
weighed a healthy 7lb 11oz (3.5kg)
and is doing well
“It’s a miracle!”
Those were the words of a new mum whose first baby was born at the height of the flooding crisis in Pakistan. Hina Gull and husband Aftab Masih named their bundle of joy Barnabas because of the help they received from Barnabas Aid before, during and after his delivery.
Our local partner helped to rescue heavily pregnant Hina who, along with scores of other Christian families, was stranded in the remote village of Rangpur Khare, Muzaffargarh, in Punjab Province when the area flooded. She went into labour just days after the evacuation and was taken to Rangpur District Hospital by our partner. Aftab is a labourer and, because the couple would struggle to afford the high hospital costs, Barnabas Aid covered these expenses.
Wilson Saraj, Barnabas Aid’s regional co-ordinator for South Asia, met the couple while visiting flood-affected families throughout Pakistan. He said: “Amid countless scenes of human tragedy and devastation, it was heart-warming to see the joy which this new life – born at such a tumultuous time – has brought to his parents and their community.
“Hina was understandably very afraid when, heavily pregnant, she became trapped in her flooded village. She was also worried about the health of her baby, being born at such a dangerous time. Hina said it was a miracle that our partner was there to take her to hospital and provide her with everything she needed.”
Hina and Aftab’s fields were destroyed by the flooding and, like thousands of Christian families in Pakistan, they face an uncertain future. As people struggle to rebuild their lives, the Christians who are already marginalised and discriminated against are particularly vulnerable. Neglected by many other aid channels, they trust in the Lord and look to their Christian brothers and sisters for assistance. Barnabas is committed to helping them in the long-term. As we move to the next phase, will you help?*
- 500 Christian families need non-food items such as:
- a cooking stove for a family - £8 (US$12; €9.50; AU$13; NZ$17)
- plastic kitchen utensils for a family - £19 (US$30; €22; AU$32; NZ$40)
- beds and bedding for a family of four - £33 (US$50; €40; AU$55; NZ$70)
Total cost of these and other essentials - £80 (US$125; €95; AU$130; NZ$170) per family.
- 1,000 Christian families have lost their means of livelihood and desperately need help to become self-sufficient again. In Sindh and Punjab, families require £60 (US$93; €72; AU$100; NZ$130) per acre for seed, fertiliser and ploughing. For those who had shops or small businesses, the estimated cost to help them start up again is £530 (US$830; €630; AU$880; NZ$1,140) per family.
- 80 Christian families need to completely rebuild their homes. A simple brick house consisting of two rooms, a washroom and a veranda, and a concrete block roof will cost £2500 (US$3,800; €3,000; AU$4,170; NZ$5,390).
- 550 Christian families need to repair their damaged homes. Estimated cost: £760 (US$1,190; €910; AU$1,270; NZ$1,640) per home.
Your gift to our Disaster Relief Fund will enable Barnabas Aid’s partners on the ground in Pakistan to assist the Christians in need, according to priority, and will strengthen the faith of our brothers and sisters who have lost everything. (Project Reference 00-634)
But how will the Christians manage until their homes and livelihoods are re-established? At least 1,000 Christian families will need ongoing, long-term food support while they rebuild their lives. Can you sponsor a family? For just £30 (US$45; €35; AU$54; NZ$65) a month, you can provide the food needs of one flood-affected family while rehabilitation work is carried out.
One-off donations may be made to the 00-634 Disaster Relief Fund.
If you prefer to telephone, dial: 0800 587 4006 from within the UK or +44 1672 565031 from outside the UK. Please quote project reference 00-634 (Disaster relief Fund).
For a quick donation of £3.00 by SMS (see terms and conditions here) text Barnabas/634 to 70007
*Figures are estimated at the time of writing and may change. Prices are likely to rise because of post-flood shortages. Numbers of families in need are likely to rise as our partners make contact with more isolated Christian communities.
- Pray for Christian families who have lost their homes and livelihoods – that God will provide for all their needs.
- Give thanks for the safe arrival of baby Barnabas and pray for his continuing good health and development.
- 1Pakistan - General Fund 41-980
- 2Barnabas weekly newsletter 14 January 2011 - 2 years ago
- 3Barnabas Persecution Update 10 January 2013 - 4 months ago
- 4Church in Bangladesh under threat amid violent Islamist protests - 2 weeks ago
- 5Prayer Focus 11/12 - 7 months ago
- 6Prayer Focus 09/10 - 3 years ago
- 7Pakistan flood crisis appeal video - August 2010 - 3 years ago
- 8TV interview with Barnabas Aid Pakistan flood experts - 3 years ago
- 9Pakistan floods update: Barnabas helps Christians to re-establish livelihoods - 12 months ago
- 10Barnabas helps thousands of flood victims rebuild lives in Pakistan - 2 years ago